Thursday 19 June 2014

Reflection on accessing health care while pregnant

It's a beautiful sunny summer day. Although it's still technically spring for a few more weeks. I took A to to the park by my house with the dogs. I have a pit bull and a chihuahua so we are quite the pack when we are out and about. I brought a blanket and a picnic. I ate my sandwich and chatted to people in the park while A rolled around on the blanket and chewed on a strawberry.  The dogs lay content in the sun.  It was a nice day.

Earlier today I chatted on Skype to Trevor from the Birthing and Breastfeeding Transmen and Allies Facebook page for an interview for a study he's doing around trans people, pregnancy and healthcare.

I can't believe how good it was to talk to someone who is like me.  I feel lighter.  And it was good to talk about my pregnancy experience with the healthcare system which is something I've been meaning to blog about on here too.  

We used a doula and midwives. They were all amazing.  Our doula, Michelle Maclean (www.thedivinechild.ca) is friends with a close friend of ours and we had met her before in social situations so we felt comfortable going with her.  We met with her during the early months of the pregnancy.  She was so excited!  It was sweet how much she celebrated us.  She lent us books and gave us advice to prepare for the months ahead and the birth.  I could text or call her anytime I was feeling worried about something and she always got back to me right away.  During the birth she was a solid support and really helped guide us through the whole ordeal.  She also helped hook us up with donor breast milk for our wee one's first few months. 

Our midwifery care with Strathcona Midwifery Collective was also amazing.  I remember thinking during my pregnancy that once the baby was born, I was going to miss having such stellar health care and I do.  The midwives treated us with dignity and respect and I felt so taken care of and in control of my own birth.  I had anticipated maybe having to pass as someone I wasn't (like a really butch female?) in order to get proper care for my pregnancy but this wasn't the case at all.  I felt I could totally be myself and the care they provided totally fit with what I needed.  Our midwives felt like part of our community and still do. I felt pretty lucky because I know not all trans people going through pregnancy have such positive interactions with health care professionals.

Cora from Strathcona Midwifery collective was our midwife who was there for A's birth. I remember a few times during the labour thinking to myself "damn I'm lucky!" Cora was so solid and calm. We tried to deliver at home but ended up going to the hospital. Again I found myself feeling so lucky that Cora was also my ally and part of my community. Having her there at the hospital just put me at ease. The hospital experience will be its own blog post though so I will move on. 

I had really bad back pain that started halfway through my second trimester and persisted throughout the rest of my pregnancy. I ended up needing chiro, physio and tried acupuncture as well.  My doula and midwives recommended places to go that specialized in pregnancy related pain.  I remember feeling nervous.  I felt so vulnerable because I really needed support.  My back was too painful to ignore and I was having trouble sleeping.   I was afraid that I would be turned away or treated badly by these people that could offer me relief.  

I didn't even have the guts to call places at first.  I would have my husband do it for me and explain my situation.  He said he found this difficult because he was often talking to the front desk person and not the person that would be working with me.  He suggested I try emailing the person that would be working with me to explain my situation.  This way I wasn't showing up to an appointment and having the awkward conversation that 'yes' I was in the right place and well...you get the picture.

I tried a physiotherapist Joanna Hermano with Electra health floor recommended by my midwives.  I made the appointment then sent an email as my husband suggested.  The email went something like this:  "Hi I'm Elliot, I have an appointment with you this Thursday for pregnancy related back pain.  You came highly recommended by my midwives.  I am transgender so I look male and use male pronouns.  See you Thursday."


Joanna wrote back saying thanks for letting her know and that she would see me at the appointment.  When I got there we talked about my needs and my back pain and she gave me my treatment and that's it.  No curious questions about being trans, just a conversation relevant to my care.  So simple and so appropriate! I continued to see Joanna for my whole pregnancy and still go to her now.  What I really like about her is she has never made me being trans the focus of our appointments but she didn't ignore this part of me either.  I remember during one of our post partum sessions she said she'd been thinking about me during my pregnancy and wondered if it had been difficult to find comfortable clothes to wear.  I felt like she saw me as a whole person with trans being a part of that. 

Emailing places before appointments really helped. I think it was helpful for the healthcare professional to be aware that I was coming and it really helped my overall anxiety before going to an appointment.  The acupuncturists at Poke Community Acupuncture were great and so was Stephanie Bonn at Coco Chiro. 

I think what I learned about my needs around accessing health care as a trans person during my pregnancy is that I don't need being trans to be the main focus of that care unless its to do with my transition. I also learned that curious questions about my body and transition that aren't relevant to my care are innapropriate. Luckily I had so many experiences like the ones described above where this didn't happen. I chose to focus on my positive experiences for this post. 

That's all for now!  

No comments:

Post a Comment